Another day, another sneering article…

I’m not going to get into my personal feelings too much because I’m still rather angry about the content of the article in the Guardian, written by a “journalist” who clearly doesn’t know her ass from her elbow. Yes, I used a cliche. I do it a lot. In this case, it was the most polite way to describe my view of her. Moving on.

I’ll give you a taste of the prattle.

The reading public in private is lazy and smutty. E-readers hide the material. Erotica sells well. My own downmarket literary fetish is male-oriented historical fiction (histfic). Swords and sails stuff. I’m happier reading it on an e-reader, and keeping shelf space for books that proclaim my cleverness.

Yeah. I almost didn’t get to that part of the article.

I do not hide my romances in a Kindle because I’m ashamed of them. I use my Kindle because I like having a dozen or more books at my fingertips, wherever I go, without carrying a suitcase along. I like having my works in progress, or the manuscripts I’m beta reading, without having to lug my laptop all over kingdom come. I will still buy a print romance for the cover, and I will read it anywhere! Without shame! And I keep my bookshelves in my reading room (sitting room attached to the master bedroom) because it’s nobody’s [expletive deleted] business what books I read and what books I do not. I certainly don’t keep a bookshelf out so everyone can see how clever I am or how many classics I’ve read.

I’d also rather instill in my children a love of reading for the sake of reading, rather than reading to make yourself appear smarter.

For the author of the Guardian article, I might suggest she take her views and shove them up her backside, but I fear there may not be room beside her head.

*ahem*

FacebookWordPressBlogger PostTumblrLinkedInDeliciousDiggGoogle BookmarksShare
This entry was posted in Romance and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Another day, another sneering article…

1. Kendall Grey says:

This is so freaking ridiculous, I can’t even take the author’s opinion seriously. I’m literally laughing at her. She should keep thinking what she’s thinking while the rest of us enjoy our kickass “downmarket” books on our e-readers. This IGNORANT article doesn’t even deserve the privilege of a response. *Shakes head* Some people. *SNORT!*

• Noelle says:

You know, part of me is hoping it was meant as satire, but the small chance that it wasn’t keeps me fired up.

2. So ridiculous! Why are people ashamed of reading romance? Love makes the world go round. Plus, there’s enough hardship every day. What’s wrong with being transported to a world where there’s a happy ending for once?

• Noelle says:

I know, right? I love a happy ending, and even if I didn’t, it’s kinda hard to avoid stories with romantic relationships in them.

3. jessie says:

I can see why this has you so fired up Noelle. I like you love me a good Historical Romance, and erotica. I have a nook. love that I can have as many books to read from. I have shelves with paper backs as well. its sad when you hear someone voice their opinion as if it right and shame on us for reading Romance novels. *smh*

• Noelle says:

Oh, and I have a lot of writing/craft books on my Kindle, too. Forgot about those. :D All these books at the touch of a button…

4. Jenn says:

I once got a review from a reader who told me she put her Booker-nominated reading aside to come back to one of my erotic romances because my story was a better read. *And* it was derivative fiction. So naayah to the Gurdiant (an old joke in England, the paper once was said to be so poorly edited, they couldn’t be trusted to spell their masthead correctly).

• Noelle says:

I can never recall which papers in England are good and which are not. A friend of mine recently asked why I paid any attention to the Guardian, and I quote: “They specialise in sub-intellectual masturbation in all its forms.” I think I might remember this paper, now. :D

(Oh, and props to the reader coming back to your work. I am not a fan of Booker-nominated fiction as a general rule, so I understand her thoughts. Haha)

5. Quantum says:

I thought the article was meant as humorous satire!

The bit My own downmarket literary fetish is male-oriented historical fiction (histfic). Swords and sails stuff. shows that the author is really a lad in gals clothing. *grin*

I can understand a romance loving lad not wanting to reveal some of the garish covers in public. Could be embarassing if you meet a mate from the pub …. yah know!

All my romance books are stored on a computer hard drive and my house walls are lined with bookshelves mainly filled with books on theoretical physics and neuro-biology. Not for show but because there’s nowhere else to put them.

I read the fiction using text to speech software to save my eyes for study. It’s natural to store em on the comp. LOL

• Noelle says:

Goodness, I hope so! If it was, though, she didn’t do a great job keeping her tongue in her cheek enough. The sci-fi writers seemed to be more up in arms, in the comments, though I didn’t get too far in those.

6. Jasmine says:

Seriously? That’s ridiculous. I only just bought a Kindle last month and mainly because I live in such a small space I have no physical space to put more books! My apartment is crammed to the rafters with romance novels! Okay, and YA, and my hubby’s sci-fi novels… but you get the point. I barely have people come over to my place because it’s so small, but when some have I don’t care what they see on my shelf.